Saturday, December 12, 2009

Spontaneous BBQ

I overlooked the calendar and suddenly I got and extra holiday on Friday. The Sultan of Selangor's birthday. There goes all the pending works that I was supposed to complete on that day. Monday is going to be a rush hour again. Sigh... Afternoon, the men in the house, went for Friday prayers. Next thing I knew, they also went for grocery and came back with lamb cutlets and chicken wings, barbecue sauce, bell pepper, mushroom, broccoli and charcoal. I knew what was going to happen next. Correct ! Almost immediate, the preparation took place. "Who are we inviting?" I asked. "Whoever is around, eat with us, whoever not around, we will send to them", simply the answer. "Where is Danial and Mikhail(nephews)?", I also asked. "I sent them back, Irad(Bro-inlaw) will send them here on their way from hospital (visiting sickly relative)", my hubby explained. "Should we call Diana?(Sis-inlaw)", I asked. "Its too short notice. We will send to them". he said. " 4 plus... Danial Mikhail... irad's family.. Diana's family...right neighbor's family.. left neighbor's family.. front neighbor's family...", I counted and quickly checked the amount of meat. I remembered my mom said, "if the the aroma of your cooking is strong enough to reach your neighbor's senses, you should give them some". So, I practice as said. Its encouraged in Islam too. "That's ok, we just distribute, no matter how little, as long as everyone gets something", we both agreed. No time to marinate. The BBQ-ing just happened at our small compound. Longer time spent waiting, than eating. Time to invest on a bigger BBQ set. Food distribution went on. It was tasty, they said. Not enough chicken wings though, so I ate more lamb, against my dietary guidelines. "I just had a heavy seafood dinner with Ghouse(cousin) and family last night", I confessed. I continued eating without guilt. That was our way of 'family planning'. 'Kun ! Fayakun'. The only thing planned on that day was the Selangor States holiday on The Sultan's birthday, while the rest, just happened because it happened. Happy birthday, Your Highness !

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

kak Faida, thanks for having my 2 boys over at your house last week end. I am not worried if they were with you coz i know they will be in good hands and enjoy themself, if at your house no restriction , nak main game sampai pagi pun aunty faida will approve- thats what Danial and Mikhail did. Thank Sis!
nampak sedap ja lamb & wings tu!

Faida said...

T, no problem. and yes, they did that.I am glad to see them happy. on the very next day, they went swimming. After that Adri 'KO'. He had a very long nap. pandai pun penat.

The BBQ ok, siap Diana minta recipe. 'Secret recipe'.

Anonymous said...

ya, i sampai dari penang at 2pm, danial still sleeping.I said you must be very busy during the w-end, after jadi guard at aunty faida's house than swimming! ha ha ha. But i know they really had fun with the uncles & auntys while the mother is a way! siap belikan game lagi, thanks again.
ok, than i must try the secret recipe!

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your news, missing your makanan.
Kentucky Rick

Faida said...

Rick!! We are missing you here. Come home soon ok. We will have BBQ again.

fayda said...

can i be your next door neighbor the side that is near to the kitchen?so that i can smell the food every time you do BBQ the lamb chop looks yummy....

Faida said...

Hahaha! LOL! KakIdang, sure. I will be more than happy to get Tiula'Itum from your house instead.

Zurin said...

i want to be your neighbour la Faida...untung nya..tapi u pulak rugi...we are too health consious that we have become boring people...cant even remember the last time we ate BBQ!!!!
what a good friend and neighbour you are.....:))

I think its because you all still young (under 50 is young ok)

...kita ni dah tua tak larat nak entertain dah...not that we entertain much pun dulu..LOLOLOL

compared to you waht a boring life we lead...LOL sigh..heheh

paling paling beli tapau! LOLOL

Faida said...

Aunty Zurin, Once our kids grown up like yours, our life will be even more boring.
Me? still young? No.. age after 40 is the most delicate age. I dont think I will look gracefull when Im at your age. Actually, people might not know who is the niece and who is the aunty, between 2 of us. WHAT DID YOU DO THAT I DIDNT???Keep up with your healthy lifestyle. No regret later.

Faida said...

2T, sure you can try the secret recipe. When are you making it? I dont mind coming over to taste.

Ghouse said...

Hmmm I think I should move to Kota Damansara lah macam ni..Ok lain kali BBQ jgn lupa bagitau..kami akan sampai..nak cuba resipi lamb you..nampak sedap dan from the comments dah confirmed sedap..

Ghouse.

Faida said...

My bro Ghouse, I would be happy to have you as one of my neighbor. Boleh kita pergi Ghulam selalu.
Ok we meet up on the next BBQ event.

Unknown said...

Wow Fid bbq looks delicious.. how come you never invite your bachelor neighbour fid... the aroma still stuck in the nose.... ah ah ah

Faida said...

My dear bachelor neighbor, you were not in then.That must have been the aroma from your next door's.

The next time you see smoke coming from my house, you should put on your jogging gear and jog around.I will get the hint.