Thursday, October 25, 2012

Brunei again


Two days after after coming back from the exciting trip to Komodo Island, it was time to fly again.
DSC04744Back to the Airport.
This time to the same place I’ve been for many times, Brunei.
On that very day, I got my long-wanted local Bruneian dish ‘Ambuyat’.
DSC04754

An Ex-schoolmate of mine, Mahani (Hajah)and his hubby were kind enough to drive me to the restaurant where Ambuyat is served complete with it’s other complementary dishes like ‘Belutak’ (as in blue-tuck).
DSC04750This was our 1st meeting after almost 30 years.

DSC04751DSC04753 We chat about our grown up children and a’lil business talk too.

While talking to her, I tried hard recalling a few old friends of ours. As usual, my memory failed me. Somehow, our little chat was kinda putting me into deja-vu of our good-old-days, that nite.
Thanks for coming Hani. I really appreciate the time you both lovely couple spent on meeting me.

 Belutak..!belutak…! belutak..!!! hehe…the sounds of saying it still keeps on playing in my mind. 
DSC01155
According to Hani, Belutak (the black looking dish) is made from combination of beef fat, tendon, meat,and many more. All mixed with tamarind,salt and I’m not sure what.

The interesting part is,as lenghty explained by Hani’s friendly hubby, those ingredients would be later, stuffed into the cleansed cow’s intestine, and kept aside for the fermentation process to take place, before its ready to be served deep fried. hmmm…I didn't know this. To my taste bud, its just like eating a deep fried beef and tendon mixed with sourish spices like Tamarind.
DSC04757

You will need a special utensil, made of Bamboo, chopstick-look-alike. Unlike Chopstick, the other end stays intact. 
DSC01159
While its still hot, you would moderately roll the Ambuyat with the Bamboo,  dip it to the sourish  dish and GULP..!!! ..feel the thrill of experiencing the hot sensation the glue-like Ambuyat slipping down your throat.

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam.
 DSC01172

I was there to check on my ongoing project.
I consider this place clean and peaceful country. No liquor, no smoking, no adultery no car thieves, no beggars. Should be no problem too…..but…..
by 10pm NO MORE SHOPS OPEN..!!?????? Now that's not peaceful for me. HELLOOOOOO…….!!! anybody still awake..???? 10pm is just a time for me to go out for coffee at the Mamak’s

So on the 2nd night, after a long day meetings, since I'm not a TV watcher, I got myself drawing materials.

Charcoal …hmmm…let me try…..

Slowly but surely, I started to scribble .  Roses again…????               DSC04759 DSC04766
Yes, Roses again, but this time they are black.

It completed long after midnight and it was time to sleep.
DSC04797 Hmmm….perhaps I should come often should I needed to practice my drawing skills.

As I was working on this journal…………
Ops..! I just heard my flight being called. It was time for boarding.

Malaysia, I’m coming back..
Muah..muah..muah…. Im back with my loved ones by 8:30pm.

Mieng Kam…!!! All of a sudden, I missed the Mieng Kam (however you say it),the Thai appetizer. So…direct to the Thai restaurant we went.

Mieng Kam consists of fresh leaves of Piper sarmentosum or in Malaysia called ‘Daun Kadok’ that are filled with some roasted coconut shavings, small pieces Shallots, Fresh red or green bird's eye chili (Fuhhh…!!! this is extremely spicy hot..!),Ginger , Lime  with its peel, roasted peanuts and small dried shrimps.
DSC04790 Yummy….I ordered 3 servings. Trust me..I finished them all..mbeeekkkkkk…!

 DSC04792
At last….and home sweet home…..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is this THAI restaurant sis?.........littlesisD

Faida said...

SisD, there are 2 in Giza. The one in the photo is nextdoor of the Baby store.Semua pedas fuhhh...!!