Thursday, August 19, 2010

The other side of personality while on ‘Umrah’

Its different. Its amazing how million of people are able to be occupied in a single place . some able to understand each other while none Arabic speaker like me, uses sign language to get a seat for prayers. Something that proven though, that a smile and a handshake most of the time helps to get 2 persons moved aside and allowed you to sit in between them.

Camera is not allowed to be taken into the mosque though. Anyway, the number of people praying outside of the mosque pictured the crowd.

IMG_8238 

That was the daily situation at the holy land, Mecca. I didn't think that I would turn 180 degree away of my personality at the holy land. The only thing I could think of was for God to listen to my prayers, to be close to Him, to be forgiven for all the sins I’ve gathered unintentionally or intentionally before. I didn't want to think about other matters. I didn't even bother to check on my email and text messages. I only realized that my mobile phone batteries ran out of  power when my cousin needed to use it.

For 12 days there, I’ve learned to focus on my prayers despite the heavy nuisance with the loud orchestraeic (if there is such a word) children cries, people arguing over seat, people crossing over my head, and walking across me, even pushing me aside, while I was in a midst of my prayers.

I’ve set my mind to be patient. I’ve set the level of my strive according to the situation, which I overheard from other who had been there. I did it well, with God’s willing.

While there, I prayed for everyone. Yes, I mean..EVERYONE I KNOW, including their children, those who are still around and those  who were no longer around, like my millionaire friend, the late Datuk Hamidah, who passed away unexpectedly on the day I was leaving for my ‘Umrah’ trip. That was quite a devastating news for me. Especially when I grew up with her and gone through a lot with her during our school and university time.

Beside feeling closer to the Almighty, I am still who I am. Sense of humor is still essential to my life. The Prophet Muhammad s.a.w  himself was a friendly individual with full of humor. In term of dressing appearance, as of now, I decided not to make a 180 degree switch. My acquaintances would still recognize me immediately. The time will come, InsyaAllah.

 

Turning back time, on the 3rdAugust 2010, a group of us boarded the plane without much to say as we were from all over the places and were not introduced to each other then.

 IMG_8154 IMG_8155 IMG_8156

Also on the 3rd of August, I was having a mixed feelings between happiness, eagerness and sadness.

I was happy to be together with my parents throughout my journey.

I was eager to pay for my visit to be closer to Allah.

But I was vary sad that my grew-up-together friend passed away on the same day and I could not attend to her funeral.

Talking about the journey, we reached Madinah at midnight. My husband, Zul, Adri(my son) and I spent the whole night at the beautiful mosque ‘Mesjid Nabawi’ until the morning prayer, ‘Subuh’, were called.

Everyone were so amazed with the beauty of the great mosque. I couldn't say more. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I felt closer to God, the Almighty Allah and the Prophet Muhammad(Peace Be Upon Him). I never felt so close. Too bad, camera and mobile phone are not allowed inside the mosque.

IMG_8188 IMG_8189 IMG_8190 IMG_8191 IMG_8192 IMG_8193 IMG_8194 IMG_8195 IMG_8196

Shopping is still part of life. On the way back to the hotel, we could not hold ourselves from stopping by those stores along the way. They were so tempting. Guess what…the store keepers majority speaks Malay. They like Malaysian, Indonesia and Bruneian. They said we are very disciplined people. I was proud to hear that.

 IMG_8197 

3 days later, we took a 6 hours bus ride to Mecca. The main soul cleansing place.

The feeling I was experiencing as I saw the great mosque right in front of me was inexpressible. I could not describe the beauty of the wonderful islamic structure building, including those towers surrounding the mosque. The tall clock tower stood proud next to the mosque.

The crowd at the Masjidil Haram swelled tremendously, as Ramadhan was approaching. It was as good as the Haj time. Going for prayers was like going to the war zone. People rush and fight for a seat.

One thing I noticed, Malaysian are among the most liked group due to their patience and good behaviour. Way to go! Malaysian. Malaysia Boleh!!

 IMG_8239

15 August 2010. Getting together at last…!!!! through my camera.

As when we were just started to know each other, it was time to pack.

Everyone were tired but excited to go back. It was such a long journey to Jeddah airport although it only took not more than 2 hours including a stop at ‘Mesjid terapung’ (translated as Floating Mosque) located at Red Sea. Among the factors that causing such feeling…its fasting month. We all went through a great test from God. We made it, Thank God.

IMG_8322

After breaking fast at Jeddah Airport, I could see happy faces.

IMG_8339 IMG_8340 IMG_8341 IMG_8342 IMG_8343 IMG_8344 IMG_8345 IMG_8346 IMG_8347 IMG_8348  IMG_8350

I wished we had more time to get to know each other.

16th August 2010. Home sweet home. A slight flu welcomed me, while a slight fever decided on Adri.

(more pictures should come later)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations for your great acomplishment...sooo happy for you and the family...ramadhan mubarak..

Faida said...

Dear Anonymous,
Thank you. I wished you identified yourself,as I would like so much to thank you in a personal manner.

Ramadhan mubarak to you too and thank you for your visit to my humble blog.