Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Playing with colors in Brunei

 

A few days before the date, I was kinda…..

Ahah! Its time to play with colors. Its been months since my last painting activity, and the urge has returned, now that I’m back to Brunei for another project.

My poor ex-primary school mate, Narajan Singh. I had to say bye to him, when we were suppose to meet. The airplane wouldn't wait, my friend. I’ve missed  it earlier.

From the plane, while landing, I zoomed in to my first sight of mosque. Brunei welcomed me and my colleague, Marina, with a nice and clear weather.

DSC01152

Someone arranged for a transportation for us to Times Hotel. The promotional price of BND88 is very reasonable.It is located as Times Square Mall of Berakas area, less than 10 minutes drive from the airport.

Peaceful place, Brunei, with cooling greeneries and beautiful view of elegant looking mosques. DSC01173

No traffic congestion..!!!DSC01183   

My arrival, as in my previous trips, received a warm welcome from my client, Dayang. We opened the chapter with the interesting local food ‘Ambuyat’, a sticky Sago, eaten with delicious sourish dip and other dishes.

I could still feel the warm sensation when the slippery substance slid down my throat. gulp….mmmm…

DSC01159 DSC01156 DSC01155  DSC01153

Whenever I travel, especially to this country, I usually think of painting. I remember in one of my trip to this self meditating country, I drew pink roses. In this trip my eyes could not get off from yellow.

Yellow roses. Yes..roses again.

DSC01186

On the next morning, the briefing I conducted at the client’s site completed earlier than expected. As I got back to the hotel, I took a chance to do some roaming around the shopping area. Not cheap to Malaysian like me, though.

At the shopping arcade next door, where I bought the coloring materials.

DSC01194 DSC01193 DSC01192 DSC01191

Other than the yellow roses, don't ask me what were those I painted, and don't ask me what expression they are portraying. I just picked up the brush, squeezed the color out and flap..flap..flap… DONE!

While painting, I kept on taking a quick glance on the soccer match on television. It was the match of the most wanted Gold medal, at SEA Games. It was the final match between Malaysia & Indonesia.

The TV ended showing many frustrated looks on Indonesian men and women.

 DSC01201 DSC01202 DSC01203  DSC01205

Sorry guys….

Anyway, watching Malaysian players happy faces after winning 4-3 at penalty match, added joy to me too. I thought of my son Adri and his papa. They both must be making a big HOOHAA..infront of the TV, back home.

 DSC01207  DSC01209

 DSC01195

Soccer ended. My painting work adjourned.

 

The 2nd day of briefing was short. My colleague and I were taken around the King of Brunei’s Gallery, displaying The Majesty’s collection of Qurans from the smallest to the biggest, written on leaves, pulps, leather and stone.

‘NO CAMERA’ sign displayed clearly at the entrance. We obeyed. Slowly we  strolled, amazed by those interesting items on display, guarded by a security and a friendly and informative guide.

We passed by a huge black velvety material, beautifully woven by golden thread, scripting Quranic verse. It was a blanket of Ka’abah, a valuable gift to the King.

Hah! The King and I have something in common. We collect canes. The only difference is, my canes are cheap version , while his are wow! version. Among other types, I saw cane made of bones of whale and also elephant trunk.

Its almost time to go home and time to think of what to do with those oil paintings. They were still wet. DOOSHHH..! rubbish bin is the way to go.

After lunch, we were safely sent to the airport. AirAsia flew us on time. Everyone can fly…Home sweet home.

It turned to be a colorful trip, after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back sis. Sorry ya, last weekend Mikhail kacau u all saja. He offer himself to go to your house, BBM uncle ess.
BTW sis, what happen to Pak Chot...dah THE END or did i miss the last episode? 2T

Faida said...

Dear sis 2T,
Mikhail tak kacau pun. He is a good boy. No worries. Our house is always open.
Pak Chot masih on vacation terbang sana sini. Everyone can fly, including Pak Chot.
Stay tuned..Pak Chot is coming back, soon.