Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What an experience

1st scenario Way back in 1990, I was involved in the project computerizing one of the library at a prestigious local university. Most of the library staff were still struggling to understand the IT terminologies , as computer were not widely use in the library then. I got someone to sit in front of the computer screen and asked her to login. She did. I told her to input data to the specific field. She did. (There wasnt any terminology called 'mouse' then, that position of cursor was maneuvered using arrow key). 1st system module completed. Pointing at the screen I said, "ok, you can get out from here". Blushed, the poor lady stood up and walked towards the door to leave the room. I called her back to her seat to continue to the next module. From then on, I started using the term 'exit', instead.

2nd scenario Windows was not born then. I was standing in front of the class, giving instruction to type something to the system then instructed my class to press 'enter' key to execute the command. An elderly man complained that his computer was displaying gibberish.############## I came to him and instructed him to lift his finger off from pressing the 'enter' key. The gibberish stopped.


3rd scenario It was PC with windows and mouse era. "ok class, to access the system, use the mouse and click on this icon", I said while pointing at the icon, projected to the screen. Far at the back seat, I heard a bit of commotion from the 2 ladies who shared PC. Both seemed to have difficulty finding the icon. I noticed, she was lifting the mouse high, pointing it to the icon on the screen, like a remote control. I approached and showed them the correct way of using mouse.

4th scenario It was full moon. Beautiful sky in Terengganu. On the next day I conducted course to librarian. This lady kept on giggling while looking at the screen. From giggling to laughing. At first I watched and smiled. At last, I couldn't help joining her laughter and was about to check what was so funny on her screen. Her colleague stopped me and whispered "She is crazy and get worsen during full moon". I stunned. It caused me goose bump.

1 comment:

Zurin said...

Sooooo funny!! LOLOL