Monday, June 7, 2010

Exciting weekend with kids, Jean Sasson and Omar Binladin

Still excited having my blog visited by my favorite author, Jean Sasson, I grabbed another book authored by her. For months, I had it shelved, waiting for me to find time to read. Somehow, my reading time overtook by ‘Growing up Bin Laden’.

This weekend however, I was caught in a few events. Since I’ve been away on my travelling, lately, I decided to spend more time with my family. My hubby and I, as planned, drove 2 hours away to Perak to pick up my daughter, Nadia, from her boarding school for a weekend gateaway. Thinking that 2 teenagers could have missed my cooking, I decided to cook. (Cooking is not an everyday event in my schedule). My son Adri eat so much.

Next, we took them, together with their cousin brothers, Redza, Danial and Mikhail, to the nearby shopping mall, One Utama. We let them played bowling. I tried throwing the heavy ball once. A one semester bowling class I took at Indiana State Univ, didn't disappoint me. I almost get a strike. “Aunty Faida can bowl”
IMG_6927
Then we turned to a pool table. I remember being crazy of the game about 15 years back. I was proud showing the kids  my pooling skill. It’s still intake!.”Aunty Faida can pool”
IMG_6929 IMG_6930     IMG_6935 IMG_6937
Our dinner filled with jokes and laughter.
IMG_6938
We reached home quite late, but I wasn't exhausted at all. It was fun seeing  those kids having fun.
At bed time, my mind lingered back to my blog and back to Jean Sasson. “She must be a caring and down-to-earth person”, I thought. I really appreciate her time, dropping her sincere comment on my blog, updating me on information which I badly needed. Then I thought about Omar, the teenager I read in the book ‘Growing up Bin Laden’, his mother and his siblings. I thanked God. All my worrying and nervousness, gone ever since I read Jean’s comment. I tried to send Jean an email, but was having problem with the email connection.”I’ll try other time”, I thought. then I clicked on my blog URL.

“What!!??? Is this for real???. Omar Binladin dropped me a comment!!”. I couldn't believe it. I clicked on his URL. I saw his blog. He and his wife were in the blog. “Yes, its really Omar Binladin”. He is no longer a teenager as I pictured him. Allah is so great giving us this technology.

That was a double excitement for me within the couple of days. I could not express my feeling further. I wanted to share my excitement with someone. I turned to my hubby. It was 2:30am and he was fast asleep (sigh..). I leaned back “ What a relief”. I dozed off, smiling with my laptop still on my lap.

9 comments:

Jean Sasson said...

Hi! I'm glad Omar wrote to you -- he is such a wonderful person with character -- I'm sorry that so many people have the wrong idea but he and his wife now have a blogging site and it is good for them to be able to chat with folks. There are a number of toxic people out there writing lies about Omar, the book, and even me, the author, so it is good they have a way of reaching people... Which of my books are you reading now? I'd love to know. Take care and have a great week! Jean

Faida said...

Hi Jean, Yes,indeed,I was glad to receive Omar's comment.I read their blogging site and sensed something '??'.I wrote them an email, to be strong against negative perception. You too,dont get those toxic jeopardise your talent. I've been enjoying your books and want you to continue being creative, as you are now. Am now having 'Love in a torn land', but reading in a slow phase due to my tight schedule. Once I'm done with it, I will give you my comment thru this blog.You take care too.

Zurin said...

wah Faida! how lucky u are to have teh writer write to you...u are having a lot of fun it seems..:)))) enjoy urself..

i dont undestand is the book in support of osama bin laden or against?

Faida said...

LOL!! T.Zurin, the book is not supporting Osama. Its telling a story told by his son, Omar and Omar's mom (Osama's wife) Najwa, about their living and lifestyle from the time when Osama just got married, became a Muslim hero fighting against Russian in Afghanistan, then later, unintentionally, became the greatest enemy of the nation. Omar and his mom were there at the fighting ground, living with Osama, but later, they both left him, just before the 9/11 attack. Its interesting.Read it. Jean Sasson will make you go thru mixture of feelings from, happiness to madness to nervousness to sadness and all.

Anonymous said...

the 2 boys always looking forward and enjoy being with their uncle & aunty. Thanks kak faida. But Mikhail said he was leading at the bowling session but aunty faida helped uncle ess to win! ha ha ha ...knowing Mikhail, bising mulut dia!

Faida said...

T,
Yes, Mikhail was actually leading. We were all surprise. Since I said, the 1 throw from me is not counted,we still consider him as the winner. Sian dia.. Aunty Faida kacau their game.

Anonymous said...

why not:)

Jean Sasson said...

Hi! It's been a long time since we spoke and I was wondering about you. I hope you are well and happy and still reading. I'd love for you to read PRINCESS: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi arabia. I think you would love it. Let me know and also, how are you?

Faida said...

JEAN SASSON..!!! you dropped by..!!!What a day. Thank you. Yes, I've read PRINCESS. That was the 1st book of yours I read and from then on, you became my 1st in the list favorite author.Im waiting for your new masterpiece.