Friday, June 18, 2010

Never Too Old To Learn

 IMG_7492 IMG_7493  IMG_7495 IMG_7496 IMG_7497 IMG_7498 

I enrolled myself into a course ‘How To Speak Professionally’ by Alistair King, held at one of the prestigious hotel in town. I went with another 2 colleagues of mine.

2 days off from my daily work, it was a relief to divert my focus to other matters like this. The course was constantly  detoxing, with full of laughter. Alistair’s humble jokes which related to his own experiences living in this country for many years, got to us straight to the point.

Many things said, were things that we already know, but kept on forgetting to implement to our daily practise.

Majority Malaysia speak good English. However, they either speak Basolect, like “Why you one kind one..? or Mesolect, e.g “You follow me to the airport”, when it should be “I will drive you to the airport”. The course is all about talking Acrolect English, in order for the speech understood, internationally.

Of course, Basolect and Mesolect are still needed by Malaysian. Culturally we need these 2 level of English to communicate, in order to be understood by another Malaysian that speaks the same level of English

It was a fun 2 days session that I didn't fall sleepy at all.

No comments: