Thursday, March 4, 2010

In-flight conversation with Ustaz

(Note: The dialog in this post is not exact, but somewhat similar) On the way back from Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur, I sat next to a middle aged gentleman. He introduced himself as Wan Subki. I used 'you' and 'I' addressing both of us, throughout the conversation. I looked at his business card. M.A Usuluddin Univ. of Jordan, Jordan. Specialized in 'Hadith'(The book of good practice of The Prophet Muhammad during his life). Ehem.... (Re-arranging my sitting position to a proper manner). "So, we are totally in a different career. What actually do you learn in 'Usuluddin'? Sorry if this is a stupid question" I asked. "We learn uderstanding the Quran from transliteration, the nature of each 'Surah' (words of revelation to the Prophet Muhammad) , relating to its guidance of human life and living, among others. We also studied the Hadith ". He replied. " I specialized in Hadith" He explain further. Didnt want to sound more stupid, I stopped asking in details and let him do the talking. He told me he was a lecturer in International Islamic Univ, Malaysia for a couple of years before he decided to openup his own business, Jaiputra College, in Kelantan(up North of peninsular Malaysia). Ops...!too late, so I continued addressing him as 'you' instead of 'Ustaz'. I felt friendlier that way. He is a kelantanese, so is his only wife. He recited a 'Surah' from the Qur'an, stated something similar to this 'one may marry 2,3 or 4, if he could afford to be fair, but if one could not afford to be fair, marrying 1 would do and its impossible for one to be fair and equal'. To someone who understood the transliteration, this actually means 'marry only 1, not 2 or 3 or 4'. (To all the gentlemen, think about this) Ustaz Wan Subki, built many 'surau' especially in the secluded area of Cambodia, where the locals were mostly Muslims. His 1 day trip to Sabah was to look for areas where he could contribute 'surau' in the name of his religion. He has sponsored more than 20 student at his college. What a good man he is. May God grant him with more success in his business. This is the kind of Philanthropist that I want to be. At the end of the conversation, he said to me "Send my regards to your husband" 'InsyaAllah", I replied in Muslim way. " and tell him I'm sorry". He added. "Why"?. I asked a bit puzzled. "Because I had a long conversation with his wife". he replied. I extended his regards and apology with lots of question marks in mind.

2 comments:

tano kemalak said...

i still dont get get it about 1,2,3,4..bit slow on that

Faida said...

Ha..ha..ha.. yeah I believe you.Its difficult to understand huh.