Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ayam Kampung (Gallus-Gallus)

       
Ayam (uh-yum) is a Malay word for chicken, while Kampung (come-poong) is translated as village. Someone told me that kampong is originated from the word compound. Make sense.
I was born in a small village in Lahad Datu, Sabah (East Malaysia). I remember seeing those chicken  running freely all around the  village. The amazing part is, they knew when to come home and where to go when its dark. Those were the days when even chickens were very obedient. But I don't remember eating them.

Ayam Kampung
Now, after more that almost 3 quarters of my life spent living in a city, when my children at one time visualized chicken as only a drumstick, ayam kampung is difficult to find. Not only that, it is categorized as luxury dishes in a city like Kuala Lumpur.
I was coming back from meeting clients yesterday and suddenly I thought of eating this so-called village chicken. Luckily there was one restaurant, not too far from my place, serves this special ‘Ayam’.
Nope, the restaurant  owner didn't have run around the village to catch them. The rearing of this scientifically known as Gallus Domesticus species,  has been commercialized nowadays, with proper care and proper feeding. Constant suppliers are available.
300120111099I enjoyed my my lunch so much especially having found my favorite HOT and spicy shrimp paste ,  ‘Sambal Belacan’ deep (Sum-buhl Ber-luh-chuhn) and boiled tapioca leaves ( I would categorized as Malaysian salad), which I had been looking for for quite sometimes.
300120111100300120111102300120111105

I’m not sure how to differentiate between the village chicken and the regular chicken other than by their size, however, I could tell from the taste (somehow). So, don't ask me…..eat them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooo time makan ko tak aku ye...takpe...lps cny ko mesti belanja aku makan hahaha...nasi lemak n ayam kampung ok gak

Faida said...

Tano Kemalak, this must be u. OK lah lpas CNY aku blanja ko bayar.

tano kemalak said...

didn't want to leave u wondering siapalah yang sebok nak suruh ko belanja ni hehehe...

kesian pulak tgk ko bersusah payah bagi proper sebutan for ur blog readers...lagi berbelit lidah aku menyebutnya hahaha...

btw 11-14feb2011 aku mungkin bawa budak2 shooting melanggai udang n menyungkur geragau (udang utk buat belacan n cencalok) di pengkalan balak. so kalau ada berani can ikut n see how they catch those guys

Faida said...

Tano Kemalak,
Haha..memang tujuan ku untuk membelitkan lidah orang.

Syok nyerr melanggai(new word i learned) geragau. Let see how. Tapi aku ndatau selokbelok Melaka lah. Kalau ke dumai makan ikan bakar aku tau lah.

Anonymous said...

melanggai udang dan menyungkur geragau. exit at tol alor gajah / simpang ampat n follow signage to masjid tanah / tanjung bidara / pengkalan balak

Faida said...

Ok. thanks.InsyaAllah. Now, the whole world tau mana mau melanggai udang & menyukur geragau. (eh betul ka ayat ko pakai tu ? ndak pernah pulak aku dengar context tu)

Anonymous said...

aku dengar ayat tu dari kecil sampailah aku tak kecil hehehe (btw u missed a 'g' in menyungkur) so far the plan is on. will depart on friday