Saturday, February 19, 2011

Back To Unique Sabahan Accent

Its been more than 20 years I hadn't had a chance to use the accent and those tickling slangs. I’ve forgotten many slangs that I used a lot during those good old days, when I was in Sabah College  within 1979-1983. 

Slangs among others;

Bidak : ugly

limpas : pass by

mambari gali: equivalent to ‘YUK !’

Udang kara: lobster

Bubut: chase

Sabahan Malay language is the same Malay language spoken in a special pronunciation and special tone.Additional word ‘Bah’(bhuh) is often added to the end of the statement to soften the sound of delivery. Its nice to hear and at times can be funny.

Since about 2 weeks ago, I’ve started to recall those words and slangs. They came back within seconds upon me getting in touch again with my ex-classmates through Facebook. Although they came back in a written form, I could still pronounce them with a correct accent and tone.

Its been a fun and exciting weeks for me, having to correspond with my old friends again. I fell like I’m back to school. I’m learning the unique Sabahan Malay accent once again.

Through Facebook we started getting to know each other again. Some faces are recognizable, some , not.

lilFaida

me b2-faida IMG_0148

me2 me3  

Regardless of the time difference, this is still ‘ME’ whom they knew while in Sabah College. I have changed in size, in mindset and in looks. So are they. Somehow, we could get along very well. The secret is…..

‘ join with open mind’

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur still the same...havent changed much...dont change...even ur voice sounds the same...just stay like that...(clue:nasi lemak)

Faida said...

Dear Mr. Clue Nasi Lemak,
I'm still the same? ghee... u must be talking about my height..hehe.. thanks anyway buddy. I m taking it as a compliment.ok I wont change. I'll stay as who I am. Hey I still owe u nasi lemak.