Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wild Fern called Paku Pakis

Malaysian calls it ‘Paku pakis’. Scientifically known as species of Psilotophyta.

Paku is nail

pakis is fern.

I'm not sure why Malaysian ended up naming this wild fern as is, while its has no similarity to a nail at all.

It is one of the wild vegetables that I like sautéed with ‘Belacan’ (shrimp paste).

During my younger days at my little hometown,Lahad Datu, I’ve experienced joining my mom venturing into the bush, looking for the sprout of this fern. I was not told then that, area where this fern is found, is also where snakes are bound to be found. WHOOAAAHH…!!!.

I only lived in my home town for less than 10 years, but I still remember all the wonderful adventurous life I had back then.

Now that I am living in the city, where my children were born, I find Paku Pakis from the market. The price is not cheap though. I guess my mom would jump upon knowing the price.

050320111609

Recently, my daughter  asked, “how does a Paku Pakis plant look like?”. I almost fall off my seat. My poor child… she learned about the fern in her science class. Little that I knew that she has not seen this wild plant.

Paku Pakis

When we took her to Cameron Highland recently, we made an effort to stop by the roadside. I showed her the plant.

I came to realize how different my childhood life compare to my kids’.

As much as possible, I would like my children to experience those physical activities of mine, like jumping into the river without fear of alligator or monitor lizard, making adventure into the wilderness with my brothers without fear of wild animals, looking for rubber seeds meant for a special traditional game, and many more adventures which I had gone through during my childhood, but HOW ..?? WHERE.. ?? WHEN..?? or Perhaps the question is , would I allow them? Sorry kids, most probably not.

Having said those, I am now still wondering…since when, I started to get terrified by any creeping creatures, especially cockroach ? oh…PLLEeeaassee….

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

daun2 sayur can be fattening...tell that to the kerbau...n gajah...hehehe...clue...

Faida said...

Dear Mr. clue,
mengaku pulak ko macam kerbau&Gajah..nasi lemak not fattening ah..?

ammeda said...

kambing oso byk lemakss cholestrol..howw arr...bila pikir cam tak logik coz kambing ni vegeterian ..

Faida said...

Amie,
ya lah.. what u said make sense.thats weird. Those scientist should do a deeper research on this matter.

Anonymous said...

nasi yang berlemak...not me...hehehe