Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pakistan-Fatimah Jinnah Women University

I read a friend’s blog about his journey to China http://meamego.blogspot.com/ . That reminded me of my trip to Pakistan, in mid May last year. A place where I learned more about different level of living. Where my initial perception about their women went to ashes.

IslamabadTrip14May2010 045 
She is almost fully covered. I forgot her name and I still don't know how she look like, but she approached me while I was waiting for my transport at the campus area, after meeting her and the others. We had a little chat.

Behind that veil, I could tell there was a fine hearted woman. A woman who are longing for a friend with openness, who she could talk freely about her feeling being someone who lives in a man dominated country like Pakistan. Too bad I didn't have a chance to know her better. I was there just for a couple of hours.

 IslamabadTrip14May2010 040 IslamabadTrip14May2010 023

In contrast to my initial expectation, there are many educated women in the country. FJWU is a university for women. I came across many pretty faces too. Like the one I saw in a Bollywood movies.

IslamabadTrip14May2010 024
Nice people are everywhere. There, where I could find a good hosts. Their respect of woman visitor like me, are excellent. I felt very safe throughout my visit.
IslamabadTrip14May2010 039IslamabadTrip14May2010 025

Shopping was not my utmost intention while in Pakistan, but, yes, they took me to a short sightseeing around the capital city, Islamabad. They also took me to a shopping area, which I didn't bother to bargain even though I knew the price to me was tremendously hiked. Just because, fullstop.

 IslamabadTrip14May2010 104    IslamabadTrip14May2010 011

Many of their men went out of the country to seek for a higher income, leaving their family behind. Some went to Malaysia. Regardless of their level of education, they are willing to do hard labor to ensure their children get a good education.

Their women and children back home accepted the fact. However, their hard living didn't deter them from healthy activities like  playing crickets and soccer on a dusty and uneven earth.
IslamabadTrip14May2010 055

Look around us. Every journey teaches.

No comments: