Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Brunei again.

My recent trip to Brunei (Again) was just a months ago. Another training conducted to the management of University Brunei Library(UBD). I decided to stay in another hotel, away from the noisiness. What made a difference between this trip compare to those previous ones was the type of food that I had and the activities I did after work. I spent a lot of my time in the hotel room, reading thinking and drawing (ya..ya..Roses again). To avoid messes I used pencil color. I left the masterpieces to a friend as remembrance. Just a walking distance away, there was a satay stall.Various satay from the inner part to the outer part of animals. Other than the regular beef and chicken, also available were ostrich, beef intestine, beef stomach (Towel-like), rabbit meat, prawn and squid. Emm.. interesting. I tried the ostrich. It tastes exactly like beef. In fact, I couldn't tell whether it was a beef or was it an ostrich meat that I was eating. Next, I had a chance to hang around the riverside, having Penang Laksa. Penang Laksa in Brunei?? Guess what? The Laksa was almost excellent! I was there with Hajah Dayang Anis, my client plus a Friend. She introduced me to a local drama artist, Mell. A cute girl. She was nominated as one of the best drama artist in Brunei, which event was to take place on that very night. I dont know what was the outcome though. I hope she won. On the next day, I had the local famous dish, Ambuyat, kinda staple food to replace rice and to be eaten with normal dish like fish stew and Rendang. Ambuyat is made of starchy flour gotten from a tree trunk, which I forgot the name. Cooking preparation is by pouring boiling hot water to the flour and thats it. Ready to eat Ambuyat is like a glue, which to be eaten with chopstick-like bamboo utensil. You are suppose to dip it into your preferred dish and swallow it while its still hot and steamy. The Ambuyat itself is tasteless, but the interesting part is the steamy sensation flowing down your throat, from the starting point to where it reached within.

No comments: