Monday, October 26, 2009

Life in Lahad Datu

America, where I spent 4 years of my university years....Kuala Lumpur where I live and work for almost 20 years, not counting the number of years during my late primary and early secondary school......Penang where I spent a short off-days with my inlaws .....then back to basic, Lahad Datu, my home town. Although not much memories I could gather, but there, where I was born and spent my early childhood, attending religious school, roaming thru to the wilderness of forestland collecting rubber seeds for a traditional game, experienced selling ice-cream, walked 1.5 miles away to St Dominic Primary school(when the driver was not well), helped taking care of my younger siblings, while my parents were most of the time busy with politics, leaving 13 of us with dearly grand mother and 3 servants. There, where I spent most of the late afternoon playing house under the tree with my cousins, young uncles and sister, playing 'batu seremban', learned swimming by jumping into the nearby river and self-struggling to float, without worries of possible reptiles. All the adventures stopped when I left for KL at the 5th grade. The rest of my visits to LD were during school holidays and Eids. I was shocked! to see a baby crocodile in that river 2 years ago. The crocs probably afraid of little Faida then. Lahad Datu, where a red durian exists, is dear to me. Spent 3 days over the weekend, driving around places, trying to find anyone I hoped to recognize, but none. Hey! Traffic jam exists. Took a few snaps of familiar places. New buildings and the old ones are side by side. Activities downtown are as 30 years ago. Good news! all houses are equipped with flushed toilet. Better drainage and utilities are in placed. Internet is available but I have no patience to wait. Very slow. The airport is upgraded from the level of 'Kedai Kopi-like' without aircon to Cafe-like with aircon. Anyway, that doesnt matter to me. Who serves inflight ,does. Lately, I always bumped onto European tourists at LD airport. They seem to know more about places of nature within LD compared to me. They told me about Tabin Wildlife, where Sumatran Rhino was sighted. I read brochures of beautiful Sipadan and Mabul Island, the under water paradise, I heard about Danum Valley, pictured as almost paradise. I know about the Bird's Nest harvesting at Madai Caves, which according to the old folks, owned by my ancestors, 7th generations ago. All these are reachable within 2-3 hours drive from the tiny town. Okie dokie...!More about LD when I hear more from the tourists.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

kak faida, i remember well the airport in LD on my 1st visit ,during the wedding . terkejut, i thought we landed at the wrong place, anyway it was a good experience! What to do my brother cari u sikit punya jauh, but it was worth it he he !-Tuty

Faida said...

When you dig further down, you will find a gold. He..he.. thats the 'perasan' side of me. I'm grateful that your brother chose me. else I wouldnt have a wonderful S.I.L named Tuty.

No comment of the flight attendant? I posted it for you'ol to comment.

Anonymous said...

Thank You. Hey boleh tahan jugak steward tu, so you are being naughty again w/o us around. Dont make them run away from you like what u did to Charles.-TTY

Faida said...

I behave well (as usual). Wanita 1Malaysia bersopan santun dan pemalu.

Yew Ang said...

I'm interested with the Red durian.
Never tried it before.

Just too bad it is not allowed in the plane....

Faida said...

Ang, actually it doesnt have that pungent smell as the normal durian. It tastes more like butter.

Faida said...

I meant, Law, not Ang. Sorry.I forgot what I usually called you. You should visit us often la.