Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Weekend Getaway

Unplanned and before heading back to KL to work and work and work, I decided to excite my dear parents, who are longing for every visit from any of the 'more-than-a-dozen' children. To Lahad Datu I went.
Unlike during Eids, the house is empty. For Once I had a total control of the TV. For once I had my beauty sleep over the weekend, after a long busy weeks at work. For once I didn't have to fight for the little john's room. For once I had a chance to look around the house, scrutinizing every corner , appreciating the creativity of our very own interior designer(my mother). And guess what I found..? I am a daughter of one of the Sabah's 'Tokoh Kemerdekaan'. I am proud of you, dad. I spent quality time with my adorable nieces and nephews.
My most fond cowboy town, where I made my regular round to the fish and vegetable market. All the inferior quality ambiences and the unpleasant odor could not deter my affection for fresh tiger prawn, fresh veggies, live crabs and fresh and shiny fish, which later costed me additional RM180 at the airport on excess luggage. Had my long-acquired 'Nasi Kuning' for the breakfast at the local stall. My hubby's and kids' favorite too. Living out of my hometown for more than 30 years, still Lahad Datu is the 'D Place'. Offbeating my life in KL, people here are living basic, less stress, places within short distance, with breathtaking greenery and ocean view, culturally different, houses with shocking color, different language, which I speak. I visited my late bro Jamal's house. Had a glance on their last family photo together. Felt sad for my sis-inlaw and her 3 school going children. Noticed the empty building next to the house, supposed to be for birds to nest, but yet to see any, except for few curious swallows, flew in and out. Visited parents' Oil Palm plantation too. Mom said the oil palm harvesting is encouraging this year. For many years, I've been looking forward for such a quality visit to my hometown. I'm glad I did.

2 comments:

Zurin said...

glad you had a break. nice to balik kampung. nice to have u back too :))

Faida said...

Yes Aunty, Im glad to be back too. But too bad my nose came back running (just trying to be funny). I brought back sore throat and rnning nose. I feel better today after 2 days resting and working remotely from my house.Tomorrow, back to normal working days.