Friday, January 20, 2012

Bombastic vs simple word

 

Once, my daughter complained.She didn't understand a short article.

“What have you learned?? you cant even understand what you are reading? Pass it to me.” That was my initial reaction.

I read.

“mmm..what the heck is this about?”. Neither did I understand it. I re-read and re-read and referred to dictionary. Then only I managed to get the message.

I then explained to her every statement in simple words.

“Thats it?”

“Yup, thats it”

Such a short 4 paragraphs article. Nice to see. Sounded like being written by very high scholar. Lots of bombastic words being used. It makes me feel as if I’ve never learn English before.

Then I thought to myself…'Good article..but..whats the point, if the writer is not able to convey the message to the reader?'.

I remember reading a book that stated, a good writing is something that is written in a simple and understandable words. The most important is, the message is received by everyone who read it.

So..

Say ‘I love you’

save your time and saliva from saying…

‘My romantic expression of emotion is deeply set on you’

 

or ..better still……….

use symbols

I      * *             **       U                  U

I  *          *  *          *   U                  U

I  *            *            *   U                  U

I    *                   *         U                U

I         *         *                U            U

I               *                           U  U

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you too sis........littlesisD

Faida said...

My dear sis,
Muahh..!! Its a long holiday.Its time for BBQ!