Thursday, April 14, 2011

‘Kompek’ seller kid

 

It was a day before Eidul-Adha celebration, 18th Nov 2010. As planned, we, all family, went back home to celebrate the occasion with my aging parents.

I was at my favorite place, Lahad Datu fish market, which I never missed on my every visit to this beloved hometown of mine.Lahad Datu located in the east of Sabah, eastern Malaysia on the island of Borneo. It occupies the peninsula on the north side of Darvel Bay.

He told me, his name was Jimal. That was my first question to him when he approached me, begging for me to buy his plastic sack, at the market.

140420112368

“beli kompek.? beli kompek..?” I heard his voice asking me to buy his sack, right behind me, having the plactic sack in his hand. I looked at him in his eyes. He put a sweet smile.

“such a cute boy” I pointed him to my hubby.

My hubby liked Jimal’s sweet smile too. Then we asked  him to come along with us , scrolling around the market looking for seafood. By mutual agreement, the sellers handed all seafood that we purchased to Jimal.  Such an obedient kid he was.

“RM2 to RM5 (USD0.55 – 1.60)”, He answered, when I asked how much he could earn a day by selling those sacks. I trust a child’s honesty.

He also told us that he would give all the money he earned to his mom. His parents did not send him to school, so as many more friends of his.

Illiterate children?? This is the last thing I would want to hear, happening in my country. I didn't asked him further question. My heart sank hearing his poor story.

Throughout our conversation, I addressed him by his name and I could tell how he enjoyed our attention on him. Out of pity, I asked him to fine another 2 of his friends to help him with the load. They were both happy for being chosen as the lucky Two.

Once we had done with our seafood shopping, the kids walked with us to the car and placed the seafood properly in the trunk, avoiding any leakage, which could stink the car for days, if it happens.

We took photograph with them before letting them off. They were overjoyed when my hubby handed RM20 (USD5) to each one of them. The little RM20 was a bit too much for Jimal, somehow, we were hoping for him to get himself a little rest for that day.

18112010489

Jimal. (standing close to me). This little boy might have forgotten me out of his young mind, but I will always have his smile kept in my heart.

18112010488

I could tell how happy my hubby seeing those kids jumping with happiness on their extra earnings for that day.

What a sweet looking sacks seller. If only I’m rich….

No comments: