Friday, December 30, 2011

'Salak Pondoh' tamed me.

I told about my previous maid who took a leave and never came back. She made me angry then. Not because I couldnt live without her, but , to the fact she made a sudden disappearance.


Recently, she texted me from her country, Indonesia. She asked if I needed a maid. I answered "no, I dont" in a nice tonation.though I could still remember the feeling that got into me when she didnt return home without advance notice, then. I actually need a helper.

Her text said she missed me.

"I miss your Rendang", I replied not wanting to be a hipocrite, as I didnt miss her at all. Rendang is a Malaysian dish.

Last Saturday, she called.

"Ma'am, Im here, back to Malaysia. I want to see you"
"OK, come over then" I openly invited her. Forgive and forget.

She arrived within half an hour. She was so happy to see me.She brought 'ole-ole' from Indonesia.
Ole-Ole (olay-olay) is a slang used by indonesian for a souvenir.

Among others, she got me my favorite Indonesian origin fruit, 'Salak' (Suh-luck).


Im so amazed with this creation of God. This shelled fruit can be mistaken to a reptile. The flat, horny plates forming the covering, designed similar to snake's scales. I wonder if they are from The Dianasour Era.


You may need to be extra careful opening the shell. Its hard and could possibly cut your finger. Unlike its look, the internal part contains a yellowish white edible fruit. Its crispy.
While some types are sourish, the species that I got was sweet.

I love it.!

Right underneath the shell, there is another layer of thin plastic-like covering the flesh .Its edible, somehow I like to eat without.



Becareful when you bite. The seed is as hard as a rock. Do not eat the seed.




The sweet species that I gotten that day is called 'Salak Pondoh'.









She was happy to see me enjoying her Ole-Ole. I ate and ate, pretended listening to her story of what happened that day and what she had gone through. I didnt really bother to hear all. I was too busy peeling Salak, avoiding cuts and enjoying the fruit.

She stay for just a couple of hours. She left with a happy face.
Actually, I've forgotten my anger long-long ago. Let by gone be by gone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

your story potong stim je lah S.I.L we want to know what happened to yr maid bukan cerita salak, ayoyo..... (and I promised myself no gossip in 2012 he he he), littlesisD

Faida said...

LOL! ok lah. Next posting.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via google while looking for salak pondoh recipes. Your English is abysmal, and your blog is embarrassing. Have you considered suicide? It might spare your maid from having to work for another Malaysian for a while, which would probably brighten her day.

Indonesia Raya, etc.

Faida said...

Dear Anonymous of Indonesian Raya,
Thank you for your alert of my English. I admit its true.{lease excuse me.Im not English educated and honestly, I didnt understand what 'abysmal' was until I check dictionary. Thanks to you.I learned a new vocab.
I dont understand what is embarassing about the post,though. Committing suicide? My religion does not allow that. Na'uzubillah. and Alhamdulillah, Im still wise enough to even consider that.
Oh, incase you're wondering, part of me is Indonesian.
Thanks for dropping by.

WordsRider said...

Faida, it's good u r not provoked with the bullying comment. Btw, anytime u visit Jogjakarta, Indonesia I'll serve u wt the original n certified Salak Pondoh.

Faida said...

wow.! 'WordsRider',I love that choice of name.
Well..thanks a lot WordsRider. Im still wise enuff to be cool...

Aha!you promissed and now you make me drooling thinking of Salak Pondoh :-). yummy....
Now I have a reason to visit Jogjakarta,'cos I know I could find many nice people there, including you,WordsRider. Take Care.
Jogjakarta..Here I come..!!!