Thursday, July 14, 2011

Judging book by its cover

 

I was at the airport, sending my parents, earlier today. I’m gonna miss them. As I turned my back after saying good bye, I could not stop my tears from coming. I walked to the car ignoring people around me who noticed my redden eyes.

I passed by an Arabs couple getting a ride on a buggy to the hotel nearby the airport. 6 of them could not occupied one buggy, so he let his pretty wife and his 3 children aged 3-9 to go first, while he and his teen aged boy waited for the next buggy.

He was so loving, saying good bye, joking with the wife, poking his little ones, making them laugh. It was such lovely family event, that made me smile on my way to my car.

I remember reading a few books, which were based on true story. The book were telling about the horrible life of a wife of an Arabs. Once I pictured Arabs men as aargggh….!!! people that I felt like slapping whenever I come across. If only I let my mind conquered by the influence from my reading, I could have built as much hatred as being pictured, on those people.

Throughout my reading, there were times when my emotion were carried away by the story and I admit they caused me anger on Arabs and frustration. But they didn't last. I realized, as a writer, one has to know how to maneuver  their words, and play with their readers’ feelings. I respect those writers. They are so good at their career.

Having to encounter those happy Arabs family today, even strengthen my mind set that, love is every where, regardless of what race, religion, custom and gender.

There we sayings..” don't judge the book by its cover”.

Somehow, most of the time, an attractive covers are selling the books well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always remind my children that there are only 2 kind of people in the world "good & bad" regardless of their race religion and colour...... as 'some people' will tend to influence their thinking that only Muslim is good and always right but I believe that there is good and bad in every race religion and colour, it is who you are that is important.......littlesisD

Faida said...

littlesisD,
What you said is very true, there are on 2 groups of people, and majority are good people.